L: Dame Margaret Price,
R: Jane Anthony
© Tim Smith Photography
Leeds Lieder was founded in 2004 by Jane Anthony in partnership with a group of individuals and Leeds College of Music, to promote the enjoyment, understanding, appreciation, composition and performance
The organisation was inaugurated with a Festival of song in October 2005 and there followed a decade of biennial Festivals attracting some of finest singers and pianists of our time. In December 2014, following the tragic and untimely death of Jane Anthony, Leeds Lieder appointed the pianist Joseph Middleton as the new Director. He will work alongside Roderick Williams to curate the next Leeds Lieder Festival, to take place from 21-23 April 2017.
With relatively few opportunities to hear the art-song repertoire in live performance outside London, this gap in the musical landscape provided the inspiration for Leeds Lieder+.
Our aims are to:
- Introduce the magnificent art-song repertoire to an ever wider audience
- Inspire successive generations of performers, composers and poets
- Commission more new work and help to sustain the tradition of song writing
Each Festival offers:
- The opportunity to hear some of the world’s finest interpreters of art-song, together with the cream of outstanding young artists.
- At least one new work for solo voice and piano is commissioned for every Festival
- A Composers’ + Poets’ Forum which encourages the next generation of song writers by providing expert advice and performance opportunities
- A public Masterclass for student singers and pianists from the national conservatoires to benefit from the experience and advice of an internationally celebrated singer and the Festival’s Guest of Honour.
Leeds Lieder People
Chairman. Former Festival Administrator, Leeds Lieder
Former Principal, Leeds College of Music
Emeritus Professor of Music, Leeds College of Music; composer/arranger, jazz pianist
Head of Finance, Leeds College of Music
Company Secretary, Solicitor and former news reporter
Jillian Johnson MBE
Administrator, Friends of Leeds Lieder
Retired Artistic Director of Leeds University International Concert Series
Director of Music, University of Hull
Translator, Music Secretary at Opera North
Music lover and patron