Announcing our Leeds Lieder 2023 Young Artists programme – applications now open.
Dates: Sunday 11 June to Saturday 17 June 2023
Application deadline: Friday 24 February 2023
Building on the success of our Young Artists Programme in recent years, in 2023 we are inviting 12 duos, aged 30 years or under, to become Leeds Lieder Young Artists and immerse themselves in the many recitals, masterclasses and talks taking place during the Festival.
In 2023 (Friday 9 June – Saturday 17 June) we will present our 12th festival at the Howard Assembly Room and Leeds Conservatoire.
There will be opportunities to work closely in masterclasses with artists including Sir Thomas Allen, Joan Rodgers, Graham Johnson, Joseph Middleton, Julius Drake, Susan Manoff and actor James Garnon, who will share their experiences of working on the international stage and explore the special ensemble relationship of voice and piano. They will also benefit from one-to-one coachings with experts in the field. The Leeds Lieder Young Artists will also take part in a live-streamed showcase recital, with further opportunities to perform in a study event led by Dr Katy Hamilton. They will participate in our Composers and Poets Forum; performing brand new songs which will be the culmination of an innovative creative song-writing project, ‘The Leeds Songbook’, telling the stories of local Leeds people. Young Artists will receive free tickets to all Festival events featuring artists such as Louise Alder, Dame Janet Baker, Dame Sarah Connolly, Julius Drake, Véronique Gens, Graham Johnson, Susan Manoff, Joseph Middleton, Mark Padmore, Christine Rice, Kate Royal and Ailish Tynan.
We are committed to nurturing young talent and our knowledgeable, generous and discerning audiences value the opportunity to follow the careers of our young artists. Leeds Lieder Young Artists may also be invited to take part in future Leeds Lieder concert seasons, alongside an already established tradition of Ferrier and Wigmore International Song Competition Prize Winners and BBC Radio 3 New Generation Artists.
- Duos are asked to submit a recording of three contrasting songs of their choice (one in German, one in English and one in another language) for consideration by the selection committee.
- We regret we are only able to accept recordings electronically, preferably via a YouTube link.
- Please complete the online application form by Friday 24 February 2023 via our website.
- Successful applicants will be notified by the end of March and must be able to arrive in Leeds on Sunday 11 June by 3pm and to attend the course until the end of the Festival on Saturday 17 June. Accommodation will be provided but Young Artists will be responsible for organising and paying for their own travel.
- The fee of £400 per participant is payable in full by Friday 28 April 2023.